Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Big Brother - Part 2: Praying for Him

This season has been especially hard on Jaden.

I've heard it described by other moms who have experienced the loss of a child as a season of "empty arms."  That's true of me and Ted.  And it's true for Jaden too.

He has empty arms. 

He's missing his little brother, his buddy. He doesn't have him here to pick up and rescue from potentially dangerous situations.  He doesn't have his little buddy to toss the ball to. He doesn't have his little buddy to push over and wrestle. His arms are empty, and it breaks my heart. 

I'm trusting God that He has a greater plan for Jaden than I do, one that's better than I can even imagine.   I'm constantly reminding myself that He is good, and I'm praying that He'll use this in Jaden's life for Jaden's good and for His glory.  All of me wants to take all the pain off of Jaden and bear it myself, but I know I can't do that.

For reasons that I don't know, God is allowing Jaden to bear part of this burden, this pain, so I'm asking you to please partner with me in praying for him.  I've included some scripture-prayers beneath each request, because I know there is so much power in God's Word.

1. Pray for his salvation
Father, I am begging that Jaden would be "predestined for adoption as a son through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of your will, to the praise of your glorious grace, with which you have blessed us in the Beloved." (Ephesians 1:5-6).

2. Pray for his protection from evil
Father, I humble myself before you, my God, to seek from you a safe journey for me and Ted, and for our child, Jaden. (Ezra 8:21).  Father I plead to you, my God, to set a guard as a protection against us, against Jaden, day and night (Nehemiah 4:9).

3. Pray that he would experience God's comfort
Blessed are you, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction (2 Corinthians 1:3-4). May Jaden experience your comfort today and everyday.

4. Pray that he would develop a right understanding of God, sin, death and the gospel, and that he would believe these truths

    Sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned.  But the free gift is not like the trespass.  For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. (Romans 5:12, 15).  Father, I pray that Jaden would receive Christ Jesus the Lord, believe his truths, and so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith (Colossians 2:6-7).

5. Pray that, as he grows older and understands more of what happened, he would be driven to joy, healing and restoration, never bitterness, unrighteous anger or despair

Father God, you said "Let light shine out of darkness," so shine in Jaden's heart and give him the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ Jesus. And may he believe that though he is afflicted in every way, he is not crushed; perplexed but not driven to despair; persecuted but not forsaken; struck down but never destroyed (2 Corinthians 4:6, 8). Father, your restoration is what I pray for (2 Corinthians 13:9). 

6. Pray that he would develop a loving relationship with Baby Sonny and any other children we may have

Father, let Jaden's love for all his siblings be genuine. Help him to abhor what is evil and hold fast to what is good. May he truly love them with brotherly affection. May he outdo them in honor. (Romans 12:9-10). 

7. Pray that this experience would grow in him a deep love, compassion and empathy for others

Father, you have given a new commandment through your son, that we love one another: just as He has loved us, we also are to love one another (John 13:34). Lord, help Jaden to love like Jesus, with a deep care, concern, and compassion for others. 

1 comment:

  1. Praying with you and have been since I heard the news. God bless you and your beautiful family. He is faithful.
    -Jasmine Walls Cochran

    ReplyDelete